This GKN-Website is using cookies to give you the best expierience. Thereby for example the session information or language setting are stored on your computer. Without cookies the range of the website's functionality is limited. If you do not agree, please click here. x

From a washhouse in Siegburg to an international corporation


 

1919

The founding year. Jean Walterscheid starts to manufacture bicycle parts in an old washhouse on Mühlengasse in Siegburg/Rhineland.


1934

Start of axle shaft production for cars and trucks, move to the former Hansensmühle hammer mill on Bachstrasse in Siegburg. No. of employees: 15.
 

1935

Bernhard Walterscheid-Müller joins the company.

1939

Armaments production. No. of employees: 50. Annual sales: 486,000 Reichsmarks.




1944

Partial destruction of the company buildings in an air raid.

1945

Reconstruction. No. of employees: 8.

1951

Walterscheid pays the cost of its employees' holiday trips for the first time.

1952

Bernhard Walterscheid-Müller becomes co-proprietor and Managing Director of the company.

1953

Start of production of agricultural PTO drive shafts.

1955

Construction of the first production shop in Lohmar. Employees: 399. Annual sales: DM 12 million.

1957

Mit der Produktion von Rohrverschraubungen wird ein neuer Fertigungszweig eröffnet.


1961

Transfer of axle shaft production to Lohmar. Employees: 940. Annual sales: DM 50 million.


1963

Founding of Birfield Trasmissioni in Bruneck, Italy, as a joint venture with the British partner company Birfield.

 


1964

Founding of Uni-Cardan AG: merger of the PTO drive shaft manufacturers Jean Walterscheid KG, Löhr & Bromkamp (Offenbach), Gelenkwellenbau GmbH (Essen).
Later joined by Glaenzer-Spicer (Poissy, France), Birfield Trasmissioni, Walterscheid Schmiede- und Presswerk (Trier).
 

1966

Acquisition of the Birfield Group by GKN, resulting in GKN acquiring an interest in Uni-Cardan AG.

1967

Introduction of the 40-hour week. No. of employees: 1,630.

1971

Erhöhung der GKN-Beteiligung bei Walterscheid auf 59,6 Prozent. Die GKN-Gruppe wird damit zum
Increase of the GKN interest to 59.6 percent. The GKN Group thus becomes the majority shareholder. Employees: 2,132. Annual sales: DM 157 million.


1976

Founding of Walterscheid Inc. in Burr Ridge, USA.


1980

Founding of the joint venture Matsui-Walterscheid in Tokyo, Japan.

1985

Construction of the high-bay warehouse. Annual sales: DM 301 million.

1986

Acquisition of the Agmaster company in St. Thomas, Canada. Employees: 1,725. Annual sales: DM 289 million.




1990

Construction of a new Walterscheid Canada (Agmaster) factory in Rodney, Canada.
Employees: 1,660. Annual sales: DM 329 million.
 

1992

Conclusion of licensing and supply agreements with the Kaleli company in Ankara, Turkey, and Arya Mehvar in Teheran, Iran.
 

1993

Acquisition of the former Getriebewerk Kirschau GmbH, now GKN Walterscheid Getriebe GmbH.

1994

Walterscheid Rohrverbindungstechnik GmbH becomes an independent entity.

 

1998

GKN Walterscheid GmbH becomes part of the GKN OffHighway Division, headquartered in Lohmar.

1999

Start of construction of a new gearbox production facility in Sohland.

2002

Acquisition of the Glaenzer-Seurre Landtechnik company in Belgium. Renamed GKN Walterscheid Belgium BVBA.
 

2003

Opening of the new gearbox production facility in Sohland.

2005

Acquisition of the Cramer GmbH company in Essen.

2006

Acquisition of the American drive shaft manufacturer Rockford Powertrain in the USA.


Product hotline Driveshafts and Tractor-attachment-systems:

+49 (0) 22 46 / 12 -0

 

Product hotline Hitch-Systems:

+49 (0) 36075 / 573 -0

Monday - Friday: 9 AM – 4:30 PM otherwise please use the